| The N.C. General Assembly has
enacted legislation to require some (but not all) driver license
applicants in North Carolina to submit proof of automobile
liability insurance coverage in order to obtain a North Carolina
Proof of liability insurance coverage applies to those:
Certification of liability insurance
coverage must be submitted on DMV Form DL-123, or an original
liability insurance policy, binder or certificate of insurance.
- applying for an original license, including transfers
from out of state;
- whose licenses are being restored after revocation or
- awarded a "Limited Privilege" license by the court.
These documents must show:
Form DL-123, binders and certificates are
valid only for 30 days from the date of issuance and must be from
an insurance company licensed to do business in North Carolina.
- applicant's name;
- effective date of policy;
- expiration date; and
- date the policy was issued